James J. Boyle, Ph.D., J.D.
Jim Boyle’s practice focuses on all aspects of patent protection, including licensing, opinions, and patent prosecution. He has extensive litigation experience in Federal District Courts and in other forums, including experience before the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multi-district Litigation, the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and has successfully defending multiple patents before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB).
For over twenty years, Dr. Boyle has prepared and prosecuted patents related to complex electrical, chemical and physics-based technology and processes. Prior to his work as a patent attorney, Dr. Boyle served as a research physicist for over seven years, elucidating the dynamics of laser/atom interactions and processes, and prior to establishing Boyle, PLLC, Dr. Boyle was a partner at Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett, & Dunner L.L.P.
• In re Katz Interactive Call Processing Patent Litigation, (C.D. Cal.).
Represented FedEx in litigation in the district courts and on appeal in complex multi-district patent litigation regarding interactive call processing systems.
• In re Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp Inverter Circuits, 337-TA-666 (ITC).
Represented Monolithic Power Systems in a patent infringement investigation relating to power inverter technology.
• Recognized by The Legal 500 for Patent Prosecution (including Reexamination and Post-grant Proceedings), 2016.
• Three-year post-doctoral appointment as Fellow at Harvard’s Institute for Theoretical Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, 1991-1994.
• Served as associate editor on the staff of the American Heritage Dictionary, 1994-1996.
• Served as editor-in-chief of the Virginia Journal of Law and Technology, 1998-1999.